The UAE educational system comprises of
a variety of academic institutions - Schools, Colleges and Universities.
Furthermore, there are several Training
Institutes that offer professional
qualification and training programs in various
fields. Each institution has it's own objective,
structure, and admission requirements.
There are a few governmental universities
and colleges in UAE where admission is restricted
to nationals only. However, there are several
private institutions where enrollment is
open to any student who meets the admission
A student may enrol in any program of
his/her choice. Programs may vary from academic,
technical, and professional degree programs
in various disciplines, preparing students
for careers in research and professional
practice in every field.
The UAE educational system comprises of
a variety of academic and professional training
institutions. Academic Programs include
diplomas, degrees as well a postgraduate
studies. A student may also enrol for professional
training to gain an internationally recognized
Universities & Colleges courses are organized
as lecture courses and lab work. Lectures
are given in halls whereby professor presents
the subject; students take notes. Many professors
prepare and distribute course outlines or
lecture notes that help students prepare
for exams. Lab work consist of small groups
of students. Students apply and deepen what
the professor has presented in the lecture
hall. Student performance is assessed via
tests, assignments and projects. Some universities
also require the students to complete work
experience training for two months.
Training Institutes organize courses on
a part-time or full-time basis. Courses
are continuously offered every month with
morning, afternoon and evening session options.
Institues may provide local programs or
internationally recognized certifications.
Student performance is assessed by a computer-based
exam, written exam or practical tasks. Certification
of completion is provided for each program
in addition to the vendor certification
upon completion of exams.
Once you've identified programs of interest
to you, you must apply for admission. The
first step in this important process is
to be sure that the institution at the top
of your list is willing to accept you. The
institution will need to review your academic
background to determine whether you are
likely to succeed in its program.
Each UAE Institution sets its own admission
standards. Some practices are common to
many institutions, however, undergraduate
and graduate admissions to the universities
may vary from one institution to the other
also from one program of study to the other.
Enrollment for a professional training program
may not require any specific background
knowledge. It is advisable to check with
the institution prior to admission.
A residence visa is required, to enrol in primary, secondary or high
schools which means students will normally be under the sponsorship of one of their parents.
Students under parent's sponsorship wanting to enrol into tertiary level university, college or institution:
- Sons, below the age of 18 in full-time education can be sponsored by their parents
- Unmarried daughters of any age can be sponsored by their father (or their mother if she is employed in a high-level profession)
Students attending a tertiary level university, college or institution:
- Full-time students can be sponsored by the university, college or institution, that's if this service is offered by the university, college or insititution, please check to be sure.
Student Residence Visa Documents, Requirements, and Restrictions
- Student Residence Visas are normally only valid for 1 year at a time, renewed each year during the study program.
- Documents needed:
- Passport with at least 6 months validity, the passport must have two blank visa pages (one to endorse the visa and one for entry stamps)
- 4 Passport copies
- 12 Photographs
- Upon arrival, 3 passport copies with entry visa to the UAE
- Evidence of acceptance to a UAE tertiary institute (offer letter)
- Possibly bank statements showing evidence of funds in the UAE
- Possibly a tenancy agreement (or letter from university if staying in university accommodation)
- Copy of tuition fee receipt for the current study year of the program
- Copy of visa fees receipt for the current study year of the program
- Post-graduate students will need to have their undergraduate degree attested
- Students from some countries will undergo a security check to make sure they are not considered a threat to UAE security.
- A medical test at an authorised UAE medical center (allow AED 350 to 500) will normally be required. The medical check is a blood test and chest X-ray for HIV (AIDS), Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Tuberculosis (TB), Leprosy, and Syphilis. If results come back positive for any of those conditions, the person is deported, except for syphilis which is treated, but this may change, check with UAE immigration department or UAE Ministry of Health (it's possible to get conflicting reports from each of these government agencies.)
Student Residence Visa Fees
- Student Visa Fees vary between universities, colleges and institutions. Varies between 1,000 to 3,000 AED for a one-year student residence visa.
- Some universities, colleges and institutions may require a refundable visa deposit, may vary between 2,000 to 3,000 AED.
- Renewal charges vary between 1,000 to 3,000 AED yearly.
- There might also be differences in fees between different emirates.
- There are also differences depending on if the university is located in a UAE education free zone such as Dubai Academic City or Knowledge Village, or not.
Please check with university, college or institute applying to for up-to-date information.
Some univeristies, colleges and institutes may require an administrative fee for processing a student
visa. This amount is usually
paid at the time of registration. However, some institutions may include this
administrative expense in their tuition
- If a student stays out of the UAE for longer than six months, their student residence visa becomes invalid and they will be denied entry to the UAE until it is cancelled. Usually the sponsor will report the visa holder to the immigration authorities.
- Visas normally take 2 to 5 weeks to process once all the correct documentation has been supplied.
- Express visas take 1 to 3 weeks to process.
- Cancellation of visa normally takes 1 to 3 weeks, express visa cancellation takes 1 to 2 weeks.